Re: [LARTC] Re: TC Point & Click + XML

A schema that doesn't use the obscure referances of tc would probably be far easier to use, something similar to:

<qos>
    <class id="1:1" devicebandwidth="100mbit" ratelimit="256kbit" device="eth0" bounded>
        <filter srcip="192.168.0.1" destination="209.12.12.12" destinationport="80"/>
        <filter destinationip="10.0.0.1">
            <route redirectto="10.0.1.1" redirectport="80"/>
        </filter>
    </class>
        <filter destinationip="10.0.0.1">
            <route redirectto="10.0.1.1" redirectport="443"/>
        </filter>
<qos>

This is logically the way I've always thought of tc/iptables etc (It makes sense to me that you would want to configure them both in the same file. Basically using the syntax above, you define a class, then you define filters to say when it should apply, and you can even set routing decisions (iptables) when certain filters apply. It seems like it wouldn't be hard to put together a perl script that could interpret the above and wisk it into a series of iptables and tc commands that produce the desired configuration.

Of course the example above means alot of things are implied such as the average packet size and many of the other parts of TC that are "unknown" (such as quantum, I still can't find and documentation as to what It does, I just know it has to be 1514b). In cases such as the one mentioned above, we could create "semi-intelligent defaults" but with the ability for the person to define it if they really want to.

What do you think? Too dummied down to be useful?

-David Talbot

Michael T. Babcock wrote:
Any source code available (and if so where?)?
Not in the open yet, no.

Is this a OS project, an internal app, or a commercial app?
Open source, for commercial use.  We want to be able to design traffic
control
configurations for our clients in a better way than the lists of TC commands
that
are typical -- so this will obviously give us commercial aid, but we will
release
the conversion tools under the GPL and the XML schema for free use. I'd
like to officially encourage contribution to the idea and any syntactic
problems
you foresee.
--
Michael T. Babcock