Re: x86: Question regarding the reset value of LINT0

Avi Kivity <avi.kivity@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 04/09/2015 09:21 PM, Nadav Amit wrote:
>> Bandan Das <bsd@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> The probability that someone will use a newer version of kernel with something
>>> as old as 0.12 is probably minimal. I think it's ok to change it with a comment
>>> indicating the reason. To be on the safe side, however, a user changeable switch
>>> is something worth considering.
>> I don’t see any existing mechanism for KVM to be aware of its user type and
>> version. I do see another case of KVM hacks that are intended for fixing
>> very old QEMU bugs (see 3a624e29c75 changes in vmx_set_segment, which are
>> from pretty much the same time-frame of the issue I try to fix).
>>
>> Since this is something which would follow around, please advise what would
>> be the format. A new ioctl that would supply the userspace “type” (according
>> to predefined constants) and version?
>
> That would be madness. KVM shouldn't even know that qemu exists, let alone
> track its versions.
>
> Simply add a new toggle KVM_USE_STANDARD_LAPIC_LVT_INIT and document that
> userspace MUST use it. Old userspace won't, and will get the old buggy
> behavior.

I fully agree it would be madness. Yet it appears to be a recurring problem.
Here are similar problems  found from a short search:

1. vmx_set_segment setting segment accessed (3a624e29c75)
2. svm_set_cr0 clearing CD and NW (709ddebf81c)
3. Limited number of MTRRs due to Seabios bus (0d234daf7e0a)

Excluding (1) all of the other issues are related to the VM BIOS. Perhaps
KVM should somehow realize which VM BIOS runs? (yes, it sounds just as bad.)

Nadav