Re: x86: Question regarding the reset value of LINT0

Nadav Amit <nadav.amit@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Oh… I am sorry - I didn’t know about that.. (I tried to make an unfunny joke
>>> about Avi knowing “Ari”).
>>
>> Ah. No problem. My brain apparently fixed that typo up unnoticed.

>>> So should I leave it as is? Can I at least disable in KVM during INIT (and
>>> leave it as is for RESET)?
>>
>> No, I don't think there is a need to leave this inaccurate for QEMU if
>> our included BIOS gets it right. I don't know what the backward
>> bug-compatibility of KVM is, though. Maybe you can identify since when
>> our BIOS is fine so that we can discuss time frames.
>
> I think that it was addressed in commit
> 19c1a7692bf65fc40e56f93ad00cc3eefaad22a4 ("Initialize the LINT LVTs on the
> local APIC of the BSP.”) So it should be included in seabios 0.5.0, which
> means qemu 0.12 - so we are talking about the end of 2009 or start of 2010.

The probability that someone will use a newer version of kernel with something
as old as 0.12 is probably minimal. I think it's ok to change it with a comment
indicating the reason. To be on the safe side, however, a user changeable switch
is something worth considering.