Re: KDE4 pager without outlines?

Mun posted on Fri, 28 Jul 2023 11:09:26 -0700 as excerpted:

> On Thu, Jul 27, 2023 at 3:32 AM Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Duncan posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:24:47 -0000 (UTC) as excerpted:
>>
>> > 🅰 🅱 🅲 🅳 🅴 🅵 🅶 🅷 🅸 🅹 🅺 🅻 🅼 🅽 🅾 🅿 🆀 🆁 🆂 🆃 🆄 🆅 🆆 🆇 🆈 🆉
>
> Your added details were very helpful; but alas, my KDE4 system must not
> have the appropriate fonts installed.  I could not find any symbols that
> looked like the ones you have shown.

What I'm saying is that if you can see them in my message, you /must/ have
at least one font installed that can display them! =:^)

And, even if you can't find them elsewhere (kcharselect, etc), you can see
them in -- and copy/paste them from, one desired character at a time if
need be -- my message.

The caveat may be that whatever font the pager applet is using to display
the desktop names may not display the characters you copy/paste into said
name.  Presumably one of the kde font config font selectors sets the
plasmashell/pager font, and if you can find whatever one you're using to
see the characters in my message and set that, you should be golden.
However, that may be a bit of a search, both for which of the font
selectors sets the pager font, and once that's found, for a font on your
system (we already know there's at least one, whatever you're viewing the
message with) that actually displays those characters.

Possibly complicating things is that it might well be the plasma "desktop
style" (what 5 calls it, IIRC it was labeled differently in 4) that sets
the font for the pager, not an individual kde font setting.  If none of the
font selectors seem to change the pager font you might try several such
desktop styles/themes/whatever and see if /they/ changes the font.

Once you find whatever changes it at all, even if it doesn't actually
display the desired characters, you're half way there.  Then you just need
to find a font that displays them.

But it should be possible (I'd give it better than a 90% chance).  It just
might take some time and suitable motivation to get all the pieces
discovered and configured properly.  But given you were already looking at
pager sources, I'm guessing the motivation at least wouldn't be a
problem...

(As you might have guessed by now I've been in similar situations a many
times over the years, including multiple times with various bits of kde.
It just burns at you until you can't take it any longer and the priority
rises high enough you find you now /make/ the time, even if it means
sacrificing something else you wanted/intended to do!  And then you
ultimately either make it happen, find a satisfactory substitute even if it
involves hacking a bit, like scripting/patching up some hack of a solution
or using weird naming characters in a totally abnormal and creative context
they weren't intended for (which is why I came up with this so fast this
time, I've used weird characters for other purposes before so it's no
longer an entirely novel hack, here).  Or if worse comes to worse, you at
least find out exactly /why/ it won't work and when that might change.  But
my experience anyway is that even if I'm not a programmer, once I'm that
motivated, I almost always find /some/ hack I consider suitable, even if it
takes me several days (or for a big project with multiple smaller burns
like my switch mswindows -> linux or kde3 -> kde4 or kde-plasma5/xorg ->
kde-plasma5/wayland before it was as mature as it is now, weeks to months)
to get all the pieces working together well enough that it takes that burn
away!  So while I'm not there to see it happen personally, rest assured I'm
here rooting for you, because the general scenario's one I know very well!)