Re: KDE4 pager without outlines?

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for your response.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 12:39 AM Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mun posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2023 15:42:40 -0700 as excerpted:
>
> > I am using KDE4 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 (RHEL7) and was wondering
> > if there is a pager replacement that will do the following:
> >
> > o  Highlight the current Virtual Desktop with a unique color or something
> > o  Not have any of the window outlines shown within the Pager
>
> FWIW...
>
> It's unlikely to come as a surprise that plasma5's pager has had the
> current-desktop highlighting feature for some time, so that one should be
> taken care of by an upgrade.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can talk IT into doing a KDE upgrade on
our RHEL7 systems.  Interestingly, several years ago when I was using
KDE3 (I think) I was able to install and tweak a different Pager
"Theme(?)" to resolve both the issues I am facing in KDE4.

> While the window outlines are still not optional in plasma5, they're far
> less obtrusive (IIRC and as your post implies compared to what I see
> here).  There's an option to toggle icons for them, but not to remove the
> outlines entirely.

Yes, you are correct about the option to toggle icons.  But turning
that on only makes things worse for me--as one may expect.

> Plasma5's pager does, however, have an option (that I don't remember
> whether 4 had or not) to display desktop name, number, or nothing.  With it
> set to name and the name long enough (and the pager set small enough if
> it's not in a small panel already), it practically obscures any window
> outlines.  Of course one can also get create with the names, pasting in
> characters like 🅰-🆉 (hope the character encoding works for those, I guess
> I'll see when I post) from kcharselect instead of using normal characters,
> even further obscuring anything other than the displayed desktop name.

Oh, that is a great tip!  I didn't realize I could do that.  Hmm, I
tried it but I couldn't find the symbols with colored backgrounds as
you have shown within my version of kcharselect.  It was a great idea,
however.

Thank you and regards,

--
Mun