Re: KDE4 pager without outlines?

Mun posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2023 11:50:52 -0700 as excerpted:
>> It's unlikely to come as a surprise that plasma5's pager has had the
>> current-desktop highlighting feature for some time, so that one should
>> be taken care of by an upgrade.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think I can talk IT into doing a KDE upgrade on
> our RHEL7 systems.  Interestingly, several years ago when I was using
> KDE3 (I think) I was able to install and tweak a different Pager
> "Theme(?)" to resolve both the issues I am facing in KDE4.

That bit wasn't intended to be of immediate help, but looking forward to
whenever, presumably, they /do/ upgrade.  That bit's fixed now so it
shouldn't any longer be an issue at that point (whenever it is, 2/5/10/
whatever years out), while the other bit (not having a direct option to
turn off the window outlines) remains an issue, altho they're much less
intrusive now so most people at least should be able to ignore them if
desired, now, even if they can't turn them off entirely.

>> Plasma5's pager does, however, have an option (that I don't remember
>> whether 4 had or not) to display desktop name, number, or nothing.
>> With it set to name and the name long enough (and the pager set small
>> enough if it's not in a small panel already), it practically obscures
>> any window outlines.  Of course one can also get create with the names,

s/create/creative/

>> pasting in characters like 🅰-🆉 (hope the character encoding works for
>> those, I guess I'll see when I post) from kcharselect instead of using
>> normal characters, even further obscuring anything other than the
>> displayed desktop name.
>
> Oh, that is a great tip!  I didn't realize I could do that.  Hmm, I
> tried it but I couldn't find the symbols with colored backgrounds as you
> have shown within my version of kcharselect.  It was a great idea,
> however.

I'd have specified them better but don't really consider myself knowing
what I'm doing in that area, so just copy/pasted the letters themselves
from kcharselect to avoid looking too stupid by specifying a code variant
that you couldn't use (say UTF-16 instead of UTF-8, or whatever).

But if you can't find it with my previous simple cut/paste, keeping in mind
the above caveat, maybe this will let you search kcharselect easier:  It's
Symbols, Enclosed Alphanumeric Supplement (in the symbols, other
category).  The below is for A in each set, select-pasting the descriptions
from (kde5) kcharselect verbatim (so all the code variants it has), with
the others following in sequence (with some other stuff between the sets so
the sets aren't in unbroken sequence but the letters within a set seem to
be):

Character: 🄐 U+1F110
Name: PARENTHESIZED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A
General Character Properties
Block: Enclosed Alphanumeric Supplement
Unicode category: Symbol, Other
Various Useful Representations
UTF-8: 0xF0 0x9F 0x84 0x90
UTF-16: 0xD83C 0xDD10
C octal escaped UTF-8: \360\237\204\220
XML decimal entity: 🄐

Character: 🄰 U+1F130
Name: SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A
General Character Properties
Block: Enclosed Alphanumeric Supplement
Unicode category: Symbol, Other
Various Useful Representations
UTF-8: 0xF0 0x9F 0x84 0xB0
UTF-16: 0xD83C 0xDD30
C octal escaped UTF-8: \360\237\204\260
XML decimal entity: 🄰

Character: 🅐 U+1F150
Name: NEGATIVE CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A
General Character Properties
Block: Enclosed Alphanumeric Supplement
Unicode category: Symbol, Other
Various Useful Representations
UTF-8: 0xF0 0x9F 0x85 0x90
UTF-16: 0xD83C 0xDD50
C octal escaped UTF-8: \360\237\205\220
XML decimal entity: 🅐

Character: 🅰 U+1F170
Name: NEGATIVE SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A
General Character Properties
Block: Enclosed Alphanumeric Supplement
Unicode category: Symbol, Other
Various Useful Representations
UTF-8: 0xF0 0x9F 0x85 0xB0
UTF-16: 0xD83C 0xDD70
C octal escaped UTF-8: \360\237\205\260
XML decimal entity: 🅰

Character: 🇦 U+1F1E6
Name: REGIONAL INDICATOR SYMBOL LETTER A
General Character Properties
Block: Enclosed Alphanumeric Supplement
Unicode category: Symbol, Other
Various Useful Representations
UTF-8: 0xF0 0x9F 0x87 0xA6
UTF-16: 0xD83C 0xDDE6
C octal escaped UTF-8: \360\237\207\246
XML decimal entity: 🇦

If that's still not enough, here's the full negative-squared set (with
spaces in between) for your copy/pasting pleasure.  Ask if you decide one
of the other sets looks more interesting and I can try it too.