Re: RSS-Reader

bnacht posted on Fri, 28 Jul 2023 07:47:32 +0200 as excerpted:

> Am 28.07.23 um 07:23 schrieb bnacht:
>> Am 28.07.23 um 05:33 schrieb Duncan:
>> (...)
>>> As a stand-alone feed reader, claws-mail works, but I'd not consider
>>> it anything special.  OTOH, if you're coming from akonadified
>>> akregator perhaps "works and is stable, unlikely to be jumping any
>>> sharks any time soon" is a primary draw, as it definitely was for me
>>> for mail and to a somewhat lessor extent for feeds, in which case
>>> claws might be just the ticket.
>> (...)
>> Do I understand correct, that Claws-Mails has an RSS-Reader included?
> jftr: Yes, there is an AddOn.

Confirming, that add-on is what I had in mind.

And adding it here since I forgot originally and being claws-mail related
it's apropos:

Another draw (for me anyway) for claws-mail (including its feed-reader) is
privacy/security: Claws-mail has a surprisingly effective but AFAIK unique
(maybe sylpheed has it??) "tag-filtered HTML as text" mode.

Basically it allows viewing the HTML version (or the XML of the feed) as
plain text, but filtering out all the raw HTML/XML/etc tags that normally
make the raw text all but unusable.  Unfortunately many messages don't
include a usable plain-text version (stub-only or non-existent), and make
the raw HTML/XML a sea of tags so that's unusable as well.  But filter out
all those tags and treat it as passive-only plain-text instead of actively
interpreted (and thus actively dangerous) content and what's left is
normally an actually readable text message, without the risk (at minimum
tracking) of all that active content.

But while security-conscious folks like me consider it useful, evidence
suggests most people are security-unaware or security-don't-care, and to
them that plain text is inconvenient and boring.

Which another reason is why I don't consider claws-mail, at least as I use
it, a great general-purpose/general-interest feed reader, particularly as
bulk-targeted feeds from known and presumably semi-trusted sources aren't
the security-risk that specifically targeted email from who-/knows/-who can
be, so it's arguably less "worth it" to sacrifice convenience for the less-
urgent-with-feeds added security.