Re: RSS-Reader

Martin Steigerwald posted on Fri, 28 Jul 2023 08:57:29 +0200 as excerpted:

> Duncan - 28.07.23, 05:33:35 CEST:
>> As a stand-alone feed reader, claws-mail works, but I'd not consider it
>> anything special.  OTOH, if you're coming from akonadified akregator
>> perhaps "works and is stable, unlikely to be jumping any sharks any
>> time soon" is a primary draw, as it definitely was for me for mail and
>> to a somewhat lessor extent for feeds, in which case claws might be
>> just the ticket.
>
> Again, please:
>
> Akregator is not based on Akonadi.
>
> Repeat after me: Akregator is not based on Akonadi.

What I know is this.  Akregator was requiring some library, IIRC libkdepim
(which would make sense since it is or at least was part of the kdepim
group) or some such but I could be remembering incorrectly, that in turn
required akonadi, whether for functionality used by akregator or not.

That requirement was enough for me.  Akregator was akonadified enough to
kick it off my system, especially since the dependency implied further
integration and akonadification could well be coming (whether it did or not
is an entirely different question).

Since I was already switching to claws-mail for mail so was already getting
familiar with it and it had the feed-reader plugin, I decided to try it as
a feed-reader as well.  It worked to my satisfaction so that was that. (Tho
FWIW I don't like the two mixed in the same running instance, so run two
separate instances, one for mail, one for feeds, with different themes and
config for each so while the same app the configured instances are a /bit/
different.)

It's quite possible that said indirect dependency has been removed; it may
now be possible (at least with a build-time option if rebuilt by the user,
or on gentoo, part of the /point/ of which is to allow user-config of as
many of those build-time options as is feasible) to build that library
without akonadi support, or possibly even to enable its support dynamically
at runtime if it sees akonadi.  Or, for all I know, the akregator
dependency on that library itself may now be optional or dropped entirely.
But I'll never know (unless someone on-list or elsewhere confirms it and I
read about it) since the time for that for me is long gone and I'm long off
it.