Re: Need help with collateral damage after migrating from 2.5.10 to 3.0.13 on Ubuntu

Quoting Kővári János <bsh@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

2021.09.08. 15:51 keltezéssel, Michael Menge írta:
It es not recommended to use
Haha, ich weiss woher es kommt. :)
4. You see your folders in your mailclient. So cyrus is able to read mailboxes.db

Ummm, nope? Unless you mean the output of mboxlist. But in my mail client (thunderbird) I don't see anything. That's the main problem. Or is mboxlist regarded as a client? That interacts with the server?

mboxlist is not a client but a cli tool that accesses the mailboxes.db file

but i think I have an idea whats going on.

the default value of "altnamespace" has changed

quoting man imapd.conf
  altnamespace: 1
             Use  the alternate IMAP namespace, where personal folders reside
             at the same level in the hierarchy as INBOX.

             This option ONLY applies where interaction takes place with  the
             client/user.   Currently  this  is  limited to the IMAP protocol
             (imapd) and Sieve scripts (lmtpd).  This option does  NOT  apply
             to admin tools such as cyradm (admins ONLY), reconstruct, quota,
             etc., NOR does it affect LMTP delivery of messages  directly  to
             mailboxes  via plus-addressing.  The default changed in 3.0 from
             off to on.

this in combination that you are an admin might have confused thunderbird

you can imtest to send IMAP commands to any IMAP server without having to handle ssl/tls or encode username and password

Compare the output of "list" and "lsub" commands after changing altnamespace back to 0 and/or removing your account from the "admin" and "imap_admins"

See https://www.atmail.com/blog/imap-101-manual-imap-sessions/ for more details

but in short

"imtest -a myusername -t ''" for imap with starttls or "imtest -a myusername -s" for imaps

and send the following commands after authentication

a NAMESPACE
b LIST "" "*"
c LSUB "" "*"

7. You did run "reconstruct -V max" which upgrades the metadata files for the folders to the    newest version, but AFSIK does not try to fix any other problems with the mailbox.    As you don't see the old mails there could be a problem the metadata files

Just to learn the terminology: what are those metadata files? the cache and header and index files in every folder?

any cyrus.* file in each mailbox. The imapd.conf manpage lists them
all in the metaparition_files option but without information what they
are used for.

BTW those have a datetime of:

cyrus.annotations: 2018??? is that normal? is this file still being used and what is it actually? But obviously neither the upgrade nor reconstruct or anything has touched those files. Were probably created upon the installation oand setup of this box and probably haven't been touched ever since.

cyrus.cache and index: current time. I did send myself a new email to test (and it arrived fine again, and could delete it as well). probably that's the timestamp of these files.

cyrus.header: yesterday.

yes some don't change often

You can run "reconstruct -n -r user/myusername" this will check all your folders without changing
   them and if it finds old mails run again without "-n"

How do I know if it finds old mails? It just spit out the user's full folder tree under it's mailbox, similarly to ctl_mboxlist, but without the ACLs etc. Just a plain dir tree.

it will tell you with additional lines. If only the folder names are listed than no problem was found

Oh and just to be sure: I did run the reconstruct with the server stopped. I thought it wouldn't like it's files being possibly manipulated while it uses them. Is it how it supposed to be done? Or rather with the server running?

reconstruct can be use while the server is running, but in some cases (e.g. after an upgrade) it is best to run reconstruct while the server is still down so that there is no access to the
mailboxes before reconstruct has completed his task.

Michael Menge                          Tel.: (49) 7071 / 29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071 / 29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen