Re: Need help with collateral damage after migrating from 2.5.10 to 3.0.13 on Ubuntu

Hi,

Quoting bsh@xxxxxxxxxxx:

Hello all,
I'd like to ask for some help.
Once again I failed and trusted Ubuntu to upgrade the system from 18.04 to 20.04, and as it did before a few times already, it f#&ed up Cyrus again... Dunno why they can't do it properly... Only after that did I read a bit about the upgrade process... Too late I guess. Anyway, I have a kinda "test" system with only one mailbox on it and a shared folder with nothing in it. After the upgrade, all the mail was gone, user's mailbox seemed empty but I still saw the shared folder. But the files are still there in the mailbox with all the folder structure and everything (so in the worst case I can just re-import them through a client or something). I did try a "reconstruct -V max" and update quotas and update ACLs, to no avail. I can not see anything under that mailbox. But I can see the structure through Webmin for example. Is there a way to fix this mess or should I just delete the mailbox and re-import the mail into it?

i suspect that cyrus is looking for the  mails at the wrong place.
Cyrus stores the list of mailboxes in the mailboxes.db.
But the information where the metadata files and mails for each mailbox
is stored is controlled by multiple options in the configuration (imapd.conf)
If i remember correctly some default values changed from 2.5.x to 3.0.x

Cyrus logs errors (journald, syslog) if files are "missing".
With these error messages you would be able to see where cyrus is looking
for the files and compare it to the place the files are on the file system.

This should give you/us some hints which config option needs to be set.

Re-importing the Mails is an option that I would only use if all
other possible solutions are exhausted. It would be easy for the
few mailboxes on the test system but would not be feasible for the
production system.

The problem is, I have another server with the exact same configuration and that has a lot of mail on it, and that too needs to be upgraded at some point. I'd like to avoid this there if possible.
Thanks for any help.

that is why having a test system and upgrading it first is a very good idea.
I am confident that we can help you figure out what went wrong.

PS: I'm not at all knowledgeable about Cyrus. Bear with me. :)

We all started with little knowledge about cyrus.

Michael Menge                          Tel.: (49) 7071 / 29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071 / 29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen