Re: Making future online meetings work

--On Sunday, April 19, 2020 20:11 -0400 Keith Moore
<moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/19/20 7:52 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
>
>> So, don't blame virtual interim meetings for killing email
>> conversations. Blame lack of email skills.
>
> I blame the abysmally poor state of most modern MUAs.   I
> also blame mobile devices, because people reading mail on tiny
> screens have drastically reduced attention spans.
>
> I used to call this "Blackberry disease" but it's pretty much
> the general state of affairs now.

Keith,

Sure.  But there is something of a chicken and egg problem here.
We choose whether to decide email, especially email with careful
analysis that doesn't yield easily to being displayed on a phone
is hopeless and we need to respond with virtual meetings and in
a number of other ways... or whether to provide tutorials,
pointers to MUAs that are less terrible than others, and tell
people who only want their email to some in SMS-sized quantities
to suck it up.    In the process, we change the incentives,
however slightly, for improved tools of one sort or the other.

I am not now, nor was I in the note that started this part of
the discussion, "blaming" virtual meetings.  I was suggesting
that they were a symptom and a symptom of several things,
including the possibility that the IETF is not getting its work
done the way we tell people we get it done and in the way that
many of our procedures assume.

best,
   john