Re: [arch-d] iesg: Re: Updates on IAB mailing lists

I have seen many examples on different lists around the IETF of situations where it needed someone to be able to say "no, that does not belong". Or "your question has been answered. Unless you have a new issue, please stop." Or other variations. There have been some postings on architecture-discuss that in my opinion (and I grant it is not mine to judge) were pushing the limits of what belongs. And at least some of them seemed quite unable to hear "this does not belong". (Fortunately, in the case I am thinking of, the rate is low enough we survived.)

No, I do not think we need the moderator / SAA function very often. But I do think it is entirely reasonable to be clear who has that responsibility / authority. For IETF WGs, that is the chairs.

On the specifics, I read the note from the SAAs as saying that the list excludes things that aare off topic. You reasonably read the note as saying something more restrictive. That part we can (and I think have) clarify. That is quite distinct from whether there should be a backstop. And given that the list was set up by the IAB, it seems appropriate that they appoint the backstop. (I am generally not in favor of the IAB or IESG grabbing extra authority. I do not see this as being of that form.)

Yours,
Joel