Re: Making future online meetings work (was:Re: Assessment criteria for decision on in-person/virtual IETF 108)

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 07:52:49PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
> My view is that not that many people were really involved on mailing lists
> anyway in the past,  but of those who are still trying to be involved
> the inability of Outlook users to learn to Usenet Quote means that their
> contributions are basically wasted electrons.
> And then we have Apple Mail adopting all the bugs, including violating
> text/plain's 77 column rule, and "my comments are in red" BS.
>
> [...]
>
> So, don't blame virtual interim meetings for killing email conversations.
> Blame lack of email skills.

I also have noted, sadly, the degradation of fundamental email skills.
I find it appalling that many allegedly skilled technical people do not
know how to properly quote and properly follow up a message -- including
editing the headers as appropriate.  (Although: some of the blame for
this belongs with the authors of mail clients, who designed and built
them to do the wrong things.)

With that in mind, and as part of a larger project, I've been writing a
guide that's more-or-less "how to use mailing lists effectively".  I'm
aware of other documents in this area and am borrowing from them --
with credit where due, of course -- liberally.  I'll let y'all know
when it's ready.

---rsk