Re: Out for discussion: draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 10:06:26AM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> IANA operates RFC-based registries under the rules of RFC2860 clause 4.1,
> which seems worth quoting here:
>
> >    4.1. The IANA will assign and register Internet protocol parameters
> >    only as directed by the criteria and procedures specified in RFCs,
> >    including Proposed, Draft and full Internet Standards and Best
> >    Current Practice documents, and any other RFC that calls for IANA
> >    assignment. If they are not so specified, or in case of ambiguity,
> >    IANA will continue to assign and register Internet protocol
> >    parameters that have traditionally been registered by IANA, following
> >    past and current practice for such assignments, unless otherwise
> >    directed by the IESG.
> >
> >    If in doubt or in case of a technical dispute, IANA will seek and
> >    follow technical guidance exclusively from the IESG. Where
> >    appropriate the IESG will appoint an expert to advise IANA.
> >
> >    The IANA will work with the IETF to develop any missing criteria and
> >    procedures over time, which the IANA will adopt when so instructed by
> >    the IESG.
>
> We seem to be in the first line of the last paragraph, and therefore
> IMHO Barry was correct to bring the discussion here. I hope that
> IANA is watching this discussion and will contribute.

No one will deny that the IESG can do what the above quote says.  If
there's a question of "missing criteria" then do we even need Barry's
I-D to resolve it, or can the IESG simply direct IANA as to how to
resolve the issue?

I do question the utility of the change, I proposed a clarification, and
I would like to see the justification enhanced (e.g., can we have some
examples of inconsistency?).  I don't oppose the proposed change as
such.

Nico