Re: Out for discussion: draft-leiba-ietf-iana-registrations

Nico,

On one point only:

On 12-Apr-20 06:50, Nico Williams wrote:
> The fact that this proposal neither adds nor removes information makes
> me thinkg it's at best just a matter of style.  Couldn't the IANA
> implement this change entirely of their own volition?  Why hasn't it?

IANA operates RFC-based registries under the rules of RFC2860 clause 4.1,
which seems worth quoting here:

>    4.1. The IANA will assign and register Internet protocol parameters
>    only as directed by the criteria and procedures specified in RFCs,
>    including Proposed, Draft and full Internet Standards and Best
>    Current Practice documents, and any other RFC that calls for IANA
>    assignment. If they are not so specified, or in case of ambiguity,
>    IANA will continue to assign and register Internet protocol
>    parameters that have traditionally been registered by IANA, following
>    past and current practice for such assignments, unless otherwise
>    directed by the IESG.
>
>    If in doubt or in case of a technical dispute, IANA will seek and
>    follow technical guidance exclusively from the IESG. Where
>    appropriate the IESG will appoint an expert to advise IANA.
>
>    The IANA will work with the IETF to develop any missing criteria and
>    procedures over time, which the IANA will adopt when so instructed by
>    the IESG.

We seem to be in the first line of the last paragraph, and therefore
IMHO Barry was correct to bring the discussion here. I hope that
IANA is watching this discussion and will contribute.

Stay well,
    Brian