Re: [107attendees] Where the action is, at virtual meetings ...

On Mar 27, 2020, at 2:17 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
point-and-click only works for special plugins like WebEx.  I can't point-and-click to send an email, as I have 4 email clients running at any time.  I have to right-click, copy, switch, open , and paste….

Yes, if you shoot yourself in the foot with a double-barreled shotgun, the IETF is not going to be able to protect you.   When I click on a mailto: link, I get a compose window in my MUA, because I’m not doing something weird.  I say this not as a criticism, but simply to point out that we can do a lot to improve UX without solving every edge case.

And each Jabber client is different in how it takes info to open a conversation.  Pidgin did not work with what was there.  So a lot of work will be needed here.  Maybe a new protocol?

Slack works orders of magnitude better than jabber for this.  If we don’t want slack, then we need better jabber.   Slack is a really easy solution to the problem, though—I don’t think better jabber is worth spending time on, honestly.