Re: IETF in July

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 08:49:43AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> On 25-Mar-20 05:55, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> > I think it would also be good to create a
> > "pay what you think is appropriate" for remote attendants,
> > maybe even with a bit of public shaming by publishing this
> > in the attendance list.
>
> You can't do that.

> It would need to be a fixed sum

why ?

When i make a donation to some charity i also select my own sum
and i can also get it tax exempted for example.

> shown on an invoice and receipt, so that people can expense it.

Sure.

> With reduced rates for sole practitioners, a free ride for students, etc.

I can already see months of discussion about fair levels
and constituencies for each on the mailing list.

I think self selected payment levels would be a very interesting
approach to try. I can not vouch that this would make enough money,
but it would be great if the community was given the opportunity
to try it. As i said. with published contributions.

> If remote participation becomes the new normal, we'd definitely
> need to do that.

Cheers
    Toerless