Re: [Manycouches] Remote presenters for HotRFC in Vancouver? (was: Re: Side meetings in a virtual IETF meeting ?)

On 3/4/2020 9:52 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On 2020-03-05, at 02:40, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> being able to go up to the person afterwards
>> and chat is the reason it works in person.  That fails for remote presenters,
>> and for remote audience, and therefore Youtube would be as good.
> But that is entirely a tools limitation, or actually a limitation in the way we use our tools.
>
> It would be easy to have hallway rooms (e.g. in meet.jit.si) open for each presentation after the presentation.  Linked from the hotrfc agenda (which could also be made easier to find), so they are one click away.
>
> Yes, that would require local presenters to stay close to their laptops a bit.
> It would also benefit from better request queueing.
> But if we want to engage remote participants/enable talking to remote presenters, this could be done.

Looks like something that we would want to try. It is an alternative to
the "hallway conversations". And trying that with Hot RFC might be a
nice first baby step.

Listening to the various complaints on the IETF lists, I wonder how many
innovative scenarios like that we might try. Mini conference spots in
which people just walk in, just like they walk in to a table in a break
during session. Chat roulette as an alternative to the welcome session.
Some avatar based conference as an alternative to the social event...

-- Christian Huitema