Re: Thought experiment [Re: Quality of Directorate reviews]

Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > On Thu, Nov 07, 2019 at 11:54:59AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
    >> Here's a thought experiment.
    >>
    >> Update the standards process such that the approval of Proposed Standard
    >> RFCs, after an IETF last call including some specified cross-area review
    >> requirements, is done by the WG consensus process with the consent of the AD .
    >>
    >> Why would that work? Because it now incents the WG chairs by making them,
    >> in effect, where the buck stops. So the WG chairs and AD (typically
    >> a committee of three) will feel the obligation to get everything
    >> right. And it scales.

    > So, no more IESG review?  What would we need the IESG for anymore?  It
    > would be gone, I guess?

IESG review for Internet Standard, not PS.

    > Sure, it will scale better.  But quality will suffer.

More documents promoted to IS.
More time to recruit, manage and train WG chairs. I.e. MANAGING

    >> [...]. So the WG chairs and AD (typically a committee of three) [...]

    > Typically one of the ADs is uninvolved with a WG for which the other is
    > responsible, so that would be a committee of two, not three.

Two chairs + 1 AD.
It would ideally also involve a few directorate reviewers.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-