Re: "community" for the RFC series

On 07-Oct-19 12:26, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 10/6/19 5:19 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>> Without denying that the IETF is the largest source of RFCs, I would say
>> that responsibility exists for all streams, and the integration point is
>> the RFC Editor.
>
> This makes less and less sense to me every time I think about it
> again.   The RSE should not be changing the intended content of RFCs
> produced by IETF consensus.

No, of course not, nor for any other stream for that matter. Of course there
can always be disagreement about whether a particular edit changes the
intent, but the principle is clear. Isn't that why the concept of stream
managers was invented some years ago?

> So the RSE's role, relative to the actual
> technical content of standards, should be a very limited one.    Yet
> somehow the responsibility to serve the greater user community is being
> put on the RSE?

That's over-interpreting what I intended to say.

    Brian