Re: "community" for the RFC series

Hiya,

On 06/10/2019 20:39, Christian Huitema wrote:
> I tend to agree with Keith here. The technical content of the RFC series
> is by and large the product of the IETF. The RFC Editor function does
> have a significant impact on how the content is expressed, with
> functions such as format definition, copy editing, archiving and
> references. But in first order, the impact of the series depend on the
> technical value of the content, and also on its timeliness.

Sure. In my little head, this thread is really part of tee-ing
up the discussion about 6635bis and there are for sure many other
things about the IETF that could be improved and that might have
bigger impact.

> I also agree
> with Stephen that it is important to identify the readership of the
> series, to collect feedback, and to make changes based on that feedback.
> But in my mind, this is as much a responsibility of the IETF leadership
> as it is a responsibility of the RFC Editor.

Well, I guess I'd say that in the context of a 6635bis discussion,
it's the responsibility of whoever's driving that. (Which remains
to be seen/decided.)

Cheers,
S.