Re: "community" for the RFC series

On 06-Oct-19 13:34, Christian Huitema wrote:
> On 10/5/2019 3:37 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>> One quick addendum: researchers and educators. I know people
>> personally who cite RFCs for research & teaching purposes, but
>> don't participate at all in I*TF activities.
>

> Yes, but again I struggle with the distinction between readership and
> community. Would you say that an anthropologist reading the literature
> of a foreign culture becomes part of the community for that culture? I
> perceive these educators that you describe in much the same way, as
> getting the production of a foreign body and studying them. I would only
> feel a notion of "community" if they start engaging and trying to affect
> the publication.

This is indeed where we may differ. I think that in setting up the
arrangements for stewardship of the series, we should consider all the ways
RFCs are used. That doesn't mean we expect input from the professors at
the University of Northern Elbonia, but I think we should nevertheless
consider the whole audience. Whether this has any major impact on the
future governance mechanisms is another matter, of course.

   Brian