Re: "community" for the RFC series

Replying to Stephen and Keith:

On 10/6/2019 6:10 AM, Keith Moore wrote:

> I agree that the set of users affected by the RFC series is, in the
> long run, very close to the entire human population.   But it seems
> odd that somehow more emphasis is being put on the importance of the
> RFC series editor, than on the importance of the technical
> contributions.   If the technical standards don't meet the needs of
> the broad Internet user population, how the RSE is operated hardly
> matters at all.

I tend to agree with Keith here. The technical content of the RFC series
is by and large the product of the IETF. The RFC Editor function does
have a significant impact on how the content is expressed, with
functions such as format definition, copy editing, archiving and
references. But in first order, the impact of the series depend on the
technical value of the content, and also on its timeliness. I also agree
with Stephen that it is important to identify the readership of the
series, to collect feedback, and to make changes based on that feedback.
But in my mind, this is as much a responsibility of the IETF leadership
as it is a responsibility of the RFC Editor.

-- Christian Huitema