Re: Improving reading of drafts and other documents

Just to make sure you're comparing Apples to Apples:

On 13 Aug 2019, at 15:50, Mary B wrote:

I have a Mac and have had one for 11 years. Yes, I am told they are
superior trackpads. But, again, I have very long fingers and I have tried to use the trackpad while sitting at IETF meetings over that entire period and like I said, it just does not work for me. My hand gets very cramped. But, I also have carpal tunnel and require a really good ergonomic setup at home to avoid ongoing pain. I also have very long arms for my height, so it is a very cramped position for me overall. So, no, it's not at all the fact that I've given up too early and no it's not that I haven't invested
time.  I actually have exceptional fine motor skills.

Carsten is referring to the external Apple Magic Trackpad, not the one built into the laptops.

I have pretty bad RSI in my right wrist and have used the Apple external trackpad with a little gel wrist rest for years. The pad is at a proper angle (unlike the laptop ones) and is quite easy to use. (And the button-less click mechanism is the most ingenious piece of engineering I've ever seen.) I have quite the happy wrist.

None of this is to say it will work for everyone; your wrist and/or fingers may vary. But I do think it's worth a go for many people who haven't tried it. It has been much easier on my wrist than trackballs and mice that I've used in the past.

pr
--
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best