Re: Improving reading of drafts and other documents

I have a Mac and have had one for 11 years. Yes, I am told they are superior trackpads. But, again, I have very long fingers and I have tried to use the trackpad while sitting at IETF meetings over that entire period and like I said, it just does not work for me.  My hand gets very cramped. But, I also have carpal tunnel and require a really good ergonomic setup at home to avoid ongoing pain.  I also have very long arms for my height, so it is a very cramped position for me overall. So, no, it's not at all the fact that I've given up too early and no it's not that I haven't invested time.  I actually have exceptional fine motor skills.  Folks here continue to amaze me with this notion that they know everything and that because someone doesn't agree with them, it means that person is wrong.  You can find anecdotal evidence of trackpads causing problems for a lot of folks.   It is also simply a matter of personal taste.

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:20 PM Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Aug 13, 2019, at 21:59, Mary B <mary.h.barnes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Trackpads are awful IMHO.  My hand is cramped after a short time doing that

If it’s an Apple trackpad, maybe you are holding it wrong.  SCNR.

More generally speaking, habits in correctly (or incorrectly) using input devices are more important than the devices themselves.  I try to teach beginning CS students to be very mindful about their work environment and how they use it.  That is, of course, hard to do when you are in the flow, but even the longest flow ends and that is a good time then for reflection on many levels whether you worked to the best of your abilities (and that includes reflecting on how your body feels and whether you used your devices right).

Yes, we are all different, but, speaking from the anecdotes I witness every week, most people who dislike trackpads have only tried the usual abysmal ones (Lenovo? OMG) or haven’t invested the time to actually become good in using them (given up too early or simply not considered that one needs to invest into one’s craft).

Grüße, Carsten