Re: We gotta stop meeting like this

Hi Fernando,

On 25-Jul-19 00:28, Fernando Gont wrote:
> On 23/7/19 20:17, Eric Gray wrote:
>> I also tend to agree, sadly.  But with a qualification: valuable
>> people are not typically locked in to working for employers that
>> cannot afford to pay them to do this sort of work, if they want to do
>> it and have value to add.
>
> I have no idea what's the rationale for this statement.
>
> I can tell you that it is extremely difficult (if at all possible) to
> have your employer support your IETF work in regions such as Latin
> America and the Caribbean.
>
> Even for other regions, it would seem
> (http://www.arkko.com/tools/recrfcstats/companydistr.html) the vast
> majority of recent RFCs have been authored by folks from a dozen
> different companies or so. Not a lot of diversity in terms of
> affiliations/employers. When looking at countries, it is even more so:
> http://www.arkko.com/tools/recrfcstats/d-countrydistr.html

To be honest, I am not so concerned about diversity among the named
authors. IMHO, we need to produce RFCs that are useful to the whole
community, not just to the employers of their authors. Therefore,
what really matters is diversity among the people who review and
comment on drafts, and among those who produce early implementations
and operational feedback.

That is probably much harder to measure than diversity among the authors.

That said, I agree that convincing employers in some regions is much
harder than others. You only have to look at the pie chart of attendees
per country to see that.

Incidentally, I wonder whether diversity among Hackathon participants
is different.

    Brian