Re: And a third [was: A couple of opinion pieces]

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 3:53 PM Pete Resnick <resnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 16 Jul 2019, at 14:10, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 3:03 PM Leif Johansson <leifj@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Skickat från min iPhone

>>> People tend to forget that you can pretty much do that IPR model in
>>> the
>>> IETF if you really want to.
>>
>> Has anyone ever done so?
>
> The PKCS standards were this way for a while, but I recently (last fe
> years) assisted with transferring change control over.

Well, I guess I should have been more precise: Patent IPR you can
obviously retain and make a promise not to litigate; that's what the
whole IPR disclosure process allows you to do, and it's done all of the
time. Copyright IPR you do have to give up change control over if you
want it to be on the standards track. PKCS had all of its issues over
copyright IPR, not patent IPR, IIRC.

Yes, I may have been reading to quickly.

pr
--
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best

--

Best regards,
Kathleen