Re: And a third [was: A couple of opinion pieces]

Leif,

> - I think it might be a good idea to figure out why it is so
> diffucult for us to attract communities to come and publish
> on /our/ terms.

I think you said to yourself, people sometimes like to have their own terms :-) Nothing wrong with that.

> Melissa has suggested IPR as one cause.

There are many needs, of course, and a million different desirable standards copyright and patent IPR regimes. In my experience, the IETF copyright and IPR model is relatively attractive. Watching organisations that interact with many standards and open source efforts, the attrition rate for some of the other models can be pretty high. So I personally wouldn’t worry too much about this aspect. But yes, for someone who has specific needs the match may not be there. Yet one needs some agreement on the operating principles, e.g., that documents are openly accessible, can be revised by anyone, etc. I think the IETF rules are a reasonable compromise and quite flexible.

> There are probably other reasons (discussion climate etc).

And that all also partly depends on what we are talking about, e.g., actual IETF work, independent submission outside the IETF, creating a new stream, etc. I do think discussion climate affects things though. And so do a number of other things, such as reputation for getting stuff done (which I think we at the IETF have), where the expertise and ownership is perceived to be, etc. But, if I have no linkage to the IETF sphere, it isn’t clear that I’d be looking to publish RFCs. It is the (broad) community that brings the value.

Jari