Re: Tolerance

On 7/16/19 9:57 AM, Rob Wilton (rwilton) wrote:

Personally, I think that the best feedback is constructive, objective and preferably delivered in a kind way whenever possible.

Stated in those terms, I probably agree with you.

Sometimes it's difficult to be constructive, as when someone proposes an idea that seems really harmful but one cannot readily come up with a better alternative.   Sometimes there are no good solutions to a problem; sometimes any change is worse than the status quo.

Sometimes it's especially difficult to be objective, because we all naturally have different perspectives, different experiences, and access to different information.   Indeed one of IETF's strengths should be that it can incorporate a broad spectrum of non-objective perspectives.

And there can be differing opinions as to what is "kind".   Someone who earnestly seeks truth or a good solution to a problem, can be happy to learn that he was wrong or that a better solution is available.  It can be unkind to withhold or disguise that information.

I also don’t see that striving for feedback to be provided in this way conflicts with the successful functioning of IETF (either historically, or today).

Nor I, within reason.    Though I can identify exceptions, I don't especially object to what you've stated.

Keith