Re: RFC Series Editor (RSE) Statement of Work

On 7/15/19 2:13 PM, Leif Johansson wrote:

To me the perspective of a standards author (especially if also an implementor) seems fairly unique.   Even people who broadly support IETF's goals don't always properly understand its perspective.

Keith

Oh I’m sure. The world is full of unique perspectives.

I’ve often found that success is the result of allowing other perspectives to encroach on ones own.

I suppose it depends on how one defines "success".    For example, you may make other choices, but personally I'm inclined to lock my car doors when I park it, and take the keys with me, no matter how much I might benefit from the perspective of a stranger encroaching on my car.

More to the point, I really think we need to be careful to pick future RSEs who won't try to impose their own agenda on IETF.    I think we've been very lucky so far but should not rely on being lucky in the future.

Keith