Re: RFC Series Editor (RSE) Statement of Work

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 01:34:49PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 7/15/19 11:15 AM, Leif Johansson wrote:
> > I don't think its a good idea to include "experience as an RFC
> > author" as a desired skill. Including that requirement will skew the
> > selection towards the usual suspects and Recruiting the next RSE
> > from within the community should imo not be a high priority for us.
>
> I emphatically disagree.  Why should IETF entrust the editing of its
> work product to someone who might not understand IETF's mission or
> share its values?

I want the RSE to have enough technical knowledge w.r.t.:

 - typesetting

 - XML, XML Schema

 - technical language

in addition to English language copy-editing experience.

In other words: a technical writer who has experience in typesetting.

I would also suggest that the RSE has to know what "process" means and
have had some experience with org / publication processes of some sort.

Candidates will probably need a portfolio.

Oh yeah, one more thing: leadership -- at the very least they must not
be shy.  The incumbent certainly shown leadership.

The rest they'll learn on the job.

-----

Having been an I-D author/co-author/editor?  That would imply meeting
some of the above criteria, so it's useful in itself, but it's neither
necessary nor sufficient.

-----

Finding a new RSE sounds daunting.  Hope it all works out.

Nico