Re: And a third [was: A couple of opinion pieces]

On 7/15/19 4:20 PM, Leif Johansson wrote:

- I personally think it would have been desirable to broaden the
use of the RFC series even at the expense of less IETF control.

Perhaps the biggest problem I have with this is, regardless of intention, "RFC" essentially functions as IETF's imprimatur and brand.   If in practice we had lots of parties publishing RFCs, even if they were of high quality, they would serve to dilute IETF's brand and effect, as well as promote confusion about which documents actually came from IETF.   Sure, there are independent stream documents now, but they're relatively few in number.

I do think there should be room for "dissenting voices" within IETF to publish informational documents alongside IETF RFCs, for much the same reason that dissenting judicial opinions are useful.   But I would hate to see large numbers of non-IETF RFCs.

Keith