Re: On XML and $EDITORs (Re: Things that used to be clear (was ...)) "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On 11.07.2019 12:07, Carsten Bormann wrote:
On Jul 11, 2019, at 11:30, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@xxxxxx> wrote:

As far as I recall, there have been zero incompatible DTD changes (up to
v3 which indeed will change things).

Which by itself is great, but there are many compatibility aspects not captured by the DTD.
Some instabilities came with the transition from the v1 TCL tool to the v2 Python tool (which also actually started to enforce more of that DTD).

Ah, that is true. The TCL code even accepted non-wellformed XML. That
never affected me as author, because my documents always passed through
a true XML parser before getting passed to the formatter. But I can see
how this caused breakage back then.

Also, the bibxml infrastructure that we use to support reference generation has had some surprises (I know, you prefer to do that work manually, but the server-side tool is arguably part of the format).

Yes.

But I agree, the RFCXMLv1/v2 format has been managed quite well over the decades, even through a complete change of tooling and ownership.

+1

Best regards, Julian