Re: On XML and $EDITORs (Re: Things that used to be clear (was ...)) "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On 7/11/19 4:32 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

On 10.07.2019 18:52, Keith Moore wrote:
On 7/10/19 12:31 PM, Nico Williams wrote:

would be nice if there were a standard format we could use, but I
XML is standard;

Ah.  That explains why every time I try to write a new RFC, the required
format has changed in an incompatible way.

Example?

It has been long enough that I don't remember the details.   Of course it wasn't XML itself that had changed, it was the DTD and/or the requirements for boilerplate and/or the magic incantations required to get references to work.

It's a bit like saying that SMTP is a standard, but if you actually want to be able to send outgoing mail without it getting blocked by random spam filters there is a set of magic and arbitrary things that you have to do to appease the mail gods.   I suspect part of it involves parts of a walrus and must be done at midnight on a full moon.

Keith