Re: Things that used to be clear (was Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On 10.07.2019 21:18, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 3:05 PM Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 02:44:30PM -0400, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:
     > Building on Melinda's comments, I recently helped a couple of new
    authors.
     > I pointed them to the XML template and the plug-in to XMLmind.  They
     > produced a draft rather quickly with very few questions.  They
    had not
     > worked much with XML, but had enough experience with other format
     > languages.  They made use of the plug-in features and used it
    differently
     > than I do.  I switch back to see the XML and fix things.  They
    were just
     > excited to generate a draft in which they felt they were
    contributing.

    Yeah, it does seem lik the XML hate is mostly just that, but that our
    use of XML is not really a blocker.  But these are feelings we're
    talking about -- all subjective.

    Better than talking about the RSE situation though.

Right. That, and how we're introducing V3 without having a definition
for it.

It is not the fact that XML is used, it is the way XML is used.

SGML is a horrible specification with a lot of stuff that is just
terrible. But it does have some good parts and there is a logic to some
(not all) of the baroque complexity.

The XML2RFC DTD was written by someone who didn't have much familiarity
with HTML or XML. It puts text in places where text should not go and it
uses a completely different set of tags to achieve what was already
established.

Yes, it has some of these problems. V3 improves things.

Best regards, Julian