Re: On XML and $EDITORs (Re: Things that used to be clear (was ...)) "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

On 7/10/19 12:31 PM, Nico Williams wrote:

would be nice if there were a standard format we could use, but I
XML is standard;

Ah.  That explains why every time I try to write a new RFC, the required format has changed in an incompatible way.

Presuming that XML is good for something, I'm not actually sure what it is.   It's not good for user input.    It's not a good final-form document format.  It's not good as an intermediate format for WYSIWYG editors.   Apparently it's not good at being a long-term stable intermediate format either (though perhaps it could be if people just accepted that it's going to be ugly and resisted the temptation to make it prettier.)

I suppose it's good at being able to be translated into other formats that are equally bad or worse.  Progress?

Keith