Re: Nomcom 2019-2020: Result of random selection process

--On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 10:59 -0400 Phillip Hallam-Baker
<phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This thread is demonstrating a key weakness in defining any
> process with security concerns on the basis of random drawing.
> The chance of hitting this particular corner case was really
> small.
>
> It doesn't much matter here but it could well matter in another
> circumstance.

Actually, as any competent statistician would tell you, drawing
a random sample from a self-selected pool and then assuming (or
pretending) that the sample is actually representative of a
broader population is quite likely to go astray.  When the
membership of that pool is skewed by criteria and considerations
that determine who self-selects, things go from "quite likely"
to "nearly certain".  Unless you are talking about a completely
different issue than the one I understand to be the issue, the
chances are anything but really small.

What happening in this case is that the Nomcom is perceived as
requiring sufficient time, resource commitment, and effort that
few people are able to volunteer to be in the pool without
organizational support.  The number of organizations willing to
provide that support to a significant number of people is quite
limited and we should thank them for doing so.   Whether they
have concluded that having people on the nomcom is a desirable
service to the community, beneficial to the company, or both is
largely irrelevant to the composition of the pool.  So is
whether they know, in allowing or encouraging people to
volunteer, that their exposure will be limited to a couple of
people and that move volunteers increases the odds that they
will have at least some representation on the nomcom itself.
The net result is that we end up with a pool with many
volunteers from a relatively small number of companies,
typically fairly large one, probably the same companies or
organizations who are willing to support people in roles like
Nomcom chair, and a smattering of people who either come from
smaller organizations, have other sources of support, or who are
willing to make the investments themselves.

When we draw a nomcom at random from that pool, it should be no
surprising to anything that those companies are all represented,
probably up to the limit (of two) rather than just by one
person.   Indeed, anything slse would be a surprise.

Now, the original 1996 assumption about the nomcom was that it
would be representative of the IETF community.   Given the
random selection process, that assumption's being true requires
that the pool from which that selection is made be reasonably
representative of the community.   Perhaps that was true
twenty-odd years ago.  Today it isn't.  If we are going to open
the more general set of nomcom topics the questions of how we
feel about that and how, if at all, it affects selections
probably belongs on the agenda.

AFAIK, none of the above has anything to do with your
observation about security concerns or procedures.   I'm not
competent to judge whether that statement, in that context, is
accurate or not although I know there are attacks on the
processes for determining randomness themselves.

best,
   john