RE: Nomcom 2019-2020: Result of random selection process

I have to admit that this kerfuffle is my fault.  I'm sorry I haven't replied earlier but had a number of issues with traveling back from Geneva (long story - not very interesting).

So.  I read the following sections of RFC 7437 (4.17) and Appendix B
Section 4.17 of RFC 7437:
   The Chair randomly selects the 10 voting volunteers from the pool of
   names of volunteers and announces the members of the nominating
   committee.

   No more than two volunteers with the same primary affiliation may be
   selected for the nominating committee.  The Chair reviews the primary
   affiliation of each volunteer selected by the method in turn.  If the
   primary affiliation for a volunteer is the same as two previously
   selected volunteers, that volunteer is removed from consideration and
   the method is repeated to identify the next eligible volunteer.

However it says in Appendix B:
       The number of nominating committee members with the same primary
       affiliation is limited in order to avoid the appearance of
       improper bias in choosing the leadership of the IETF.  Rather
       than defining precise rules for how to define "affiliation", the
       IETF community depends on the honor and integrity of the
       participants to make the process work.

In Appendix B it says the number of nominating committee members.  Nominating committee members include both voting and non-voting members.  There is this distinction because there are times when only voting members vote (on slates for example) and times when the entire nominating committee needs to vote (on processes etc).  So, I interpreted this to mean that the NomCom Chair should be sensitive to the affiliation of all nominating committee members.  I check the previous 5 years of nomcoms and (unless I missed something) there was no nomcom that had more that two people from the same affiliation on the nominating committee ( I will check again to be sure).

I understand what the community is saying about how 4.17 is interpreted.  But 4.17 states in the first sentence of the second paragraph that it is talking about the nominating committee.  The nominating committee is more than just the voting members.  However, following 4.17 to the letter would have a second Ericsson person as a voting member.  As stated before the nominating committee is more than voting members, so I thought it prudent to err toward diversity.  I can understand how section 4.17 can be seen as applying to only voting members, but the words say "nominating committee" not "voting members of the nominating committee".

I'm not the chair this year and I apologize for causing the confusion.  I just wanted to explain my rationale for making the recommendation I did.  I certainly am not trying to change the rules, but provide for the most fair and diverse committee based on how I interpret the rules.

The final decision is with Victor.  I will support whatever decision he makes.

Regards,
-scott.

>>> FWIW I think you are setting precedent without necessity - only voting members choose, non-voting members advise.
>>>

>> I agree.  The relevant operative text is Section 4.17 of RFC 7437:
>>
>>   The Chair randomly selects the 10 voting volunteers from the pool of
>>   names of volunteers and announces the members of the nominating
>>   committee.
>>
>>   No more than two volunteers with the same primary affiliation may be
>>   selected for the nominating committee.  The Chair reviews the primary
>>   affiliation of each volunteer selected by the method in turn.  If the
>>   primary affiliation for a volunteer is the same as two previously
>>   selected volunteers, that volunteer is removed from consideration and
>>   the method is repeated to identify the next eligible volunteer.
>>
>> It’s clear from the procedure that the input is the voting volunteers, the method is the random selection method, and that the chair’s test for primary affiliation occurs at this point in the process.  Furthermore, a cornerstone of the process is that the only elements in the process one cannot determine in advance are the PRNG inputs, and by no means the selection policy.
>
> I agree, this is clearly called out in RFC7437 and the NomCom should follow it.
>
> If RFC7437 is revised to include this, then that effort should consider the liaisons affiliations as well, not just the current and past chairs.

Are the liaisons known from all bodies before the voting members are selected.  I know that they have not in the past.

Russ