Re: Effective discourse in the IETF

> On Jul 5, 2019, at 1:16 AM, Ted Lemon <mellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> It doesn’t work if you don’t start out with a predisposition to believe that you are mistaken. This counteracts a cognitive bias we all share: that we are correct by default. This is too deeply ingrained to fight with small measures. You have to go to the other extreme.

I’m not sure that’s true in general, or at least I suspect the true situation is more layered and complex than that and depends on the individual and how that person was conditioned.  I do think there is a common bias that presumes that one’s experiences are representative of the whole picture, and it probably does help to try to assume the opposite.