Re: Choices or language and tone

On 04-Jul-19 07:54, Richard Barnes wrote:
> Getting people people stop and think about whether they're being unprofessional is like the whole point of having a code of conduct and enforcing it.  The clearer we make our norms, the easier the decision will be for the would-be contributor.

We could spend a great deal of time arguing about what the word "unprofessional" means in email to a group of professional colleagues. But I doubt if it would help, because at best we'd end up with a set of adjectives that have at least as much vagueness built into them as "unprofessional".

Personally, I don't find it unprofessional to characterise a decision or action of a committee as "a stupidity". Certainly it's stronger than "a mistake", but it's not a personal attack. It's stating what sort of a mistake the writer believes has happened.

(However, I just searched my personal mail archives for the string "stupid" and it's very rare, and mainly used in contexts like "I have a stupid question.")

   Brian