Re: IETF attendance costs

> Nor in terms of motivations either. However, it seems relevant to
> the question of whether the IETF should continue to do standards
> track work *ahead* of the market, of which homenet is a current
> example and IPv6 is a 25-year-old example. In the realm of counter-
> factuals, imagine for a moment what might have happened if in 1994,
> the IETF had said "Too soon, we'll just leave IPng aside for now;
> those interested can take it to the IRTF."

Definitely.  Also, there are a couple of instances I can think
of in which mistiming work contributed to its failure but
were not the only reason for their failure (much of the
middlebox work, for example).

But all that aside, my reason for posting that gaia is a
research group rather than a working group is that presentations/
papers are common (and fully appropriate) in research groups while
they can be a misuse of valuable meeting time in working groups.

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore
melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx