Re: [tsvwg] travel funds for ietf for the next SCE talk?

Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > This reply seems to presume that "independent" developers should be
    > considered by IETF to be the exceptional case, and only "dependent"
    > developers (presumably those funded by huge corporations) have a right to sit
    > at the big table. I think it should be the other way around - IETF should be
    > optimized to facilitate contributions from independent parties, and those
    > with sponsorship are welcome to sit at the same table as everyone else.

I think that, compared to other so-called SDOs, that the IETF is very much
already heavily optimized in that way.

    > There was a time when IETF was more like this, even after we had to pay our
    > own meeting costs. We got sucked into the mode of holding meetings at
    > expensive hotels, especially after our attendance figures pushed into

Yes, it used to more like that, it is true.
I think we could consciously shrink our meeting size to fit into smaller
venues, but that decision would itself be considered to be excluding people.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [