Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: LLC Board Meeting Details - 1 May 2019

Hiya,

On 04/05/2019 00:25, Adam Roach wrote:
> On 5/3/19 5:52 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>> I'll just note that your conclusion there is by no means clear to
>> me. That may derive from me having the luxury of having a $dayjob
>> that allows me to remain unfashionable:-) But that doesn't make me
>> wrong, I think.
>

> Let me try to be more concrete.
>
> There was an 18-month period in 2004 and 2005 during which I
> remained active in the IETF, while my take-home income from the LLC I
> belonged to was covered entirely (and then some) by a contract
> between the LLC and a third party for whom I was designing and
> implementing a system. For a variety of reasons, the third party did
> not wish to have it publicly known that the feature in question was
> being outsourced, and so the agreement required that such a
> relationship not be disclosed.
>
> Had I chosen to stand for a NomCom-selected position during that
> time period, I would have considered that relationship relevant from
> a COI perspective, and would have sought (and likely been able to
> successfully negotiate) a contractual amendment from the third party
> that allowed disclosure of the relationship to the NomCom, under the
> condition that the information was not conveyed outside that body.
>
> I think that's a perfectly reasonable state of affairs, but it's one
> that would be disrupted by a requirement for NomCom to make this
> information public. Keep in mind that we already struggle to find
> willing and capable individuals to serve in many of the
> NomCom-selected positions. It is not in the interest of the IETF to
> further winnow such pools.

Yes, there are grey areas here. My take is that the above
might or might not be a reasonable state of affairs, and
that it depends on the companies involved and the position
for which one may have volunteered. But if there were a
real chance that the third party you mention above could
reasonably be perceived by the community as representing
a potential CoI for the relevant nomcom-appointed position,
then I personally would expect that potential CoI to be
disclosed to nomcom during their selection process *and*
then to the community should the person be appointed by
nomcom and confirmed. Whether nomcom ought disclose to
the confirming body is a detail on which I'm uncertain,
but I would take the stance that should the appointee
not be able to disclose that potential CoI to the community,
then they really ought not accept the position.

I do recognise that we don't have IETF consensus on that
disclosure being a MUST or SHOULD, but I wish we did.
(And in passing, I note there's nothing to stop any
nomcom appointee disclosing whatever they choose.)

Cheers,
S.