Re: LLC Board Meeting Details - 1 May 2019

--On Friday, May 3, 2019 08:39 -0700 Bob Hinden
<bob.hinden@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ekr,
>
>> On May 3, 2019, at 6:13 AM, Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 12:16 AM S Moonesamy
>> <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi Sean,
>> At 10:33 AM 25-04-2019, Sean Turner wrote:
>> > The CoI disclosures are private because people may have
>> > other  commitments that cannot be made public due to their
>> > contractual or  employment obligations.
>>
>> Why would a person performing work which is described as
>> "administrative" have contractual obligations which have to
>> be concealed?
>>
>> This doesn't seem that difficult: suppose that I am a
>> contractor who does some work for a company which is also
>> doing some kind of business with the LLC, but my contract
>> with that company requires me to keep it confidential. Or,
>> alternately, suppose that my spouse or other close relative
>> is a contractor for such a company.
>
> To me these are exactly the cases that should be disclosed
> publicly.   Especially the case:
>
> "I am a contractor who does some work for a company which is
> also doing some kind of business with the LLC, but my contract
> with that company requires me to keep it confidential"
>
> This is exactly that case that if later disclosed would erode
> people faith that the LLC Board is acting in the IETF
> communities best interest.   IMHO someone with these kinds of
> COI, shouldn't be on the LLC board in the first place.

+1

As someone who has spent all of the last 16+ years as a
consultant/ independent contractor and who has never in that
period has any one client account for more than 50% of my time,
much less "most" or "all", I have several times signed
consulting agreements that forbid me to disclose who I'm working
for, what I'm doing or working on, and/or other details of the
arrangement without that party's permission.  When something new
comes along and they want to know what over commitments I have,
I have to tell them I can't discuss without permission.
Sometimes I have to go back and get permission or negotiate what
I can and cannot say (a situation that has sometimes involved
the potential new customers signing an NDA), sometimes they
accept a statement from me about what I am _not_ doing or who
I'm not doing it for, and sometimes I can't take the job.

So, first of all, if someone has conflicts or potential
conflicts, especially ones that can't be disclosed publicly, I
would expect that such a person would consider very carefully
whether agreeing to be a candidates for the LLC Board was
appropriate and to err on the side of caution.  At least in the
future, I expect that the Nomcom would insist on full disclosure
of any conflicts and would consider the likely costs of those
conflicts (e.g., unavailability for particular types of
discussions or decisions or the possible appearance of
impropriety) in evaluating the candidate.  If the disclosures
are not made until the Board is seated, it is too late, whether
they are public or not.   If we have to reopen documents in the
IANA2 WG and write that down, I think we'd better do it although
I hope that a little oral tradition, agreement that the Nomcom
can and should do this, and that any COI information so
confidential that it cannot be shared with the nomcom probably
disqualifies a candidate.

Second, it seems to me both on principle and as a result of this
discussion thread that the norm should be that COI information
is disclosed to the community.  Nothing about what the IRS or
other bodies (in the US or elsewhere) might require is relevant
to that in any reasonable case.  If there are unreasonable cases
wrt government authorities, they are more likely reasons why
someone is not an appropriate person to be on the LLC Board than
a reason to try to devise a complex procedure for dealing with
the COI information.   If there are non-regulatory special
circumstances that justify disclosure within the LLC Board (and
to the Nomcom) but not to the community, then I would suggest a
variation on Michael Richardson's suggestion: that the LLC Board
regularly disclose to the community the number of Board members
who have reported COIs that have not been disclosed to the
community and the number of such COIs per Board member, and that
those that are undisclosed (and maybe those that are) be
identified in some way that lets the community track how deeply
or often someone is conflicted and how deep a hole is being dug.

The hard case is what happens after people are seated.  People
(and their immediate families) change employers or take on new
clients and COIs come and go.  The LLC could, at least
potentially, also decide to consider an action that would create
a COI situation for one or more of the Board's members that did
not exist or wasn't worth paying attention to before.  As an
extreme example, if an LLC Board member had a significant equity
interest in one of the only two hotels in Lower Slobbovia,
possibly as a result of a familiar relationship, that normally
wouldn't be considered worth disclosing.  But, if the meeting
site selection process suddenly pointed to Lower Slobbovia as a
likely place for a future IETF meeting, I'd expected the
relationship to be disclosed, and disclosed in a hurry.   So I
hope that, as the LLC Board thinks about these issues more
generally, they will also consider the updating situation and
the question of whether there should be mechanisms for forcing
the resignation of a Board member whose apparent conflicts are
getting out of control without having to invoke the (slow,
painful, expensive, and probably leaky and inherently
pejorative) recall mechanism.

   john