Re: voting rights in general

IEEE: $3,500 (corporate membership; individuals are <$100 but don’t get to be on the BoG)
OASIS: $4,000 ($1,350 for non-profits)
IETF: Considerably higher than $6,000/year per person, but for argument’s sake, let’s use it.
3GPP: varies from ETSI ($6,800/year) to ATIS ($8,500)
ITU-T: $32,000, and you don’t get to vote on top leadership

So, to be a ‘full’ IETF participant, including governance, costs substantially more than some other SDO’s (wonder why IETF lost CTI work?), but substantially less than the ITU-T (wonder why ITU-t has totally lost out on Internet standards?).

As for “participation in the IETF is free,” it is the same kind of free as open source software is free. Sure, you can download a copy of Linux for free. However, if you want support, it costs 2-10x what some of the proprietary operating systems cost per copy. So much for ‘free’!