Re: Jabber [Was: Plenary questions]

I think if there were a jabber server, ideally using the same authentication as the datatracker so we don't have another ID to track, that satisfied our logging needs, that would be Good Enough, and not at all lousy.   Yes, clients are a problem, but there are clients, so they aren't a _big_ problem.

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 2:58 PM Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/12/18 12:16 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> I spend as close to zero time on slack as possible, because it is such a
> time sink.   But to your point, yes, IETF could run its own jabber
> server, and I've suggested that before (previous IETFs, as well as
> earlier in this conversation), but gotten no response.   I think part of
> the problem is that setting up a jabber server isn't trivial, and isn't
> something most people have done.

Aw, it's actually very easy. Much easier than managing an email server!

> It's possible that if someone (you?)
> who has already climbed that learning curve were willing to do it, this
> could be solved quickly.
>
> The Meetecho server is a lousy choice.   I tried using it this IETF, and
> it demanded all kinds of authentication information I didn't have
> handy.   Plus it consumes bandwidth even if you don't need the AV feed.

It's possible that all the choices are lousy. :-)

Peter