Re: Diversity considerations

--On Monday, October 1, 2018 17:45 -0400 "Andrew G. Malis"
<agmalis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John,
>
> In my more recent RFCs, I only use my name, current
> affiliation, and a personal email address since the other
> information (physical address, phone number, company email)
> changes so often that it would be useless for anyone to try to
> use it to contact me, and that's really the point of contact
> information.

Andy, I didn't mean to suggest that there were not perfectly
good reasons for providing less information in "author's
address".   Certainly there are.   On the other hand, if we are
trying to do statistics based on location information, unless we
are getting that information from substantially everyone, it
makes those statistics fairly useless... at least unless someone
can make a really persuasive case that those who supply the
information are no different from a population standpoint than
those who don't.

Of course, if we did want "country of residence" or "country of
origin" information for statistical purposes and thought it was
important enough, we could insist that I-Ds and RFCs show
country (or continent, or region) even if they didn't show other
address information.  There are at least some people in the
community who move around enough internationally that such a
requirement wouldn't work either, but my guess is that they are
statistically far fewer than those who change physical address,
phone number, and company email much more often than they change
countries or regions.

It is not yet clear to me that we care enough that we should
bother.  I'm just still sampling statistician enough to be
disturbed when we cite statistics and consider making policy
based on them when the sample populations are suspect due to
censored data -- regardless of the cause of the censorship and
without implying any intentional misbehavior about it.

best,
   john