Re: Diversity considerations

> On Sep 27, 2018, at 6:56 PM, Nico Williams <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Has the Internet Society/IAOC/IAB/IESG/IRTF/IETF studied the diversity
> of these communities?  Have there been surveys or censuses of IETF
> participants?  Have we identified specific axes of diversity where we're
> coming up short?  How are such things being measured?  Is there an RFC
> setting out yardsticks for measuring IETF diversity?  How do we measure
> the diversity of remote-only participants?  Is there any data available
> on these matters?

Since a couple of people have asked about what data we have: At https://datatracker.ietf.org/stats/ you can find statistics about document authorship broken down by the author’s country, continent, and affiliation and meeting attendance broken down by attendee’s country and continent residence. The statistics included in the datatracker are based on the requirements published in RFC 7760. Attendance by country of residence is also reported at every IETF plenary. See, e.g., slide 10 at https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/101/materials/slides-101-ietf-sessb-ietf-101-plenary-chair-slides-00

We collect optional gender information on our meeting registration form. We have not been publishing these statistics as far as I know, but the secretariat has been working on a broader overall statistics dashboard where this could be included, or we could potentially fold it into the datatracker statistics and/or the plenary slides. From IETF 87-101, the response rate on the meeting registration gender question averaged 90% — that is, on average 90% of those who registered for the meeting chose to answer it. On average for those meetings, 89% of respondents were male and 11% of respondents were female. The total number of respondents averaged 1,094 across those meetings.

As of IETF 102 we changed the way the question about gender was phrased on the registration form to be more neutral, which resulted in a significantly lower response rate. Alexa and I have been thinking through the implications of this and trying to figure out if there are further changes we might try to make there.

All of the above obviously represents a rather limited universe of data to evaluate the diversity of the IETF participant base, but it is what we have now AFAIK.

Alissa