Re: Diversity considerations (was: Re: General non-confidential input to NomCom)

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 06:17:53PM -0400, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> My goal is not to hijack an IETF thread but I am always looking at how
> to improve diversity and for me improve inclusion is a key factor.

Definitely interesting both ways to look at what other orgs are doing,
so i certainly appreciate that you brought your slides and asked.

My feedback was as much directed to you as it is to IETF re. inclusion:
short of listing more explicit agreed upon actions together with their
reasons, effectiveness and efficiency, the easiest way to get started
putting some action to inclusion is to state how it implies not
to discriminate, and that the foremost form of discrimination is
unconscious bias, and that working against that is something
everybody can try to do.

> I don't have all the answers.  We don't even collect data or require
> data to measure improvement.  What I have is anecdotal data and my
> industry knowledge.  So what I'm trying to do is discuss tips I've seen
> that help.  If you have any tidbits to add, they are always appreciated.

Not much to add. What i said is what i understood first when i was in
NomCom a few year back when i think diversity/inclusion was first
brought into the discussion large scale in the IETF (6 years ago ?).

> Maybe you are right and a survey of our committers and members is a good
> step to take.  I'll mention it to our board.

Well.. Make a cost benefit judgement upfront before delving into it.

A more efficient way to get more insight is to ask
the community to file explicit bug reports re. diversity/inclusion.
Ideally with a suggested patch in pseudocode that is detailled enough
for review of effectiveness and efficiency.

I was just quickly looking and couldn't find something: Does Apache
have well defined/documented methods to report these type of issues
confidentially ? ombutsteam, specific confidentiality expectations
against specific roles in the community, etc. pp. ? Aka: work out
the most important organizational prerequites that allow you to
determine, review  and fix the top actually concerning diversity/inclusion
issues.

Cheers
    Toerless