Re: Diversity considerations (was: Re: General non-confidential input to NomCom)

--On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 15:08 +0200 Eliot Lear
<lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I am not suggesting "diversity first" or above all.

I didn't think you were.

>   Technical
> qualifications and experience matter a lot.  Also, diversity
> means more than just national origin or skin color or
> gender.  It means diversity of experience, diversity of
> opinion, and diversity of interest, alongside all that other
> stuff.  We have always been at risk of a monoculture forming
> in our leadership ranks, and it has from time to time.

Again, agreed.  I have just seen too many situations in which,
after a few iterations, general "diversity is important"
statements and preferences like the one in your previous note
morph into "diversity first" at the same time the criteria for
diversity are narrowed into things that can be easily measured
quantitatively.   Geography, gender, age, differences in
physical abilities, etc. (aka "that other stuff"), have that
property, while the things you list above do not.   In an
industry in which many companies have complex alliances,
hands-mostly-off subsidiaries, and co-ownership relationships
and in which many consulting relationships come with
non-disclosure requirements, even corporate affiliations can be
hard to deduce with confidence, much less quantify beyond a
primary organizational name.

That perhaps natural human tendency (probably especially among
people with engineering or scientific backgrounds) to reach for
the easily-quantified in preference for hard-to-evaluate more
subjective criteria has often, historically, interacted with
"diversity is important" by narrowing "diversity" to those
criteria that are easily measured and then promoting that more
narrow definition of diversity over other, harder-to-measure,
criteria into "diversity first".

>  It's up to the NOMCOM to keep that from happening.

Yes.  But it is up to us to avoid giving criteria to the NOMCOM
that one or two passionate advocates either for narrowly-defined
diversity or for giving easily-measured factors priority to get
us into situations that neither of us would like.   So, I think
your proposed statement is in need for further explanation.  I
also agree with others that Brian's draft may not be the right
place to put it.

best,
  john